Tsowa Safari Island is an idyllic base for walks in Zambezi National Park.
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Part of the Isibindi collection, Tsowa Safari Island is uniquely located on a forested island in the Zambezi river, about 35km upstream from Victoria Falls. It has 8 luxury tents with en-suite indoor and outdoor showers, with each tent carefully positioned in the shade of the forest to ensure guest privacy and maximize the river views.
The blend of forest and water makes for superb wildlife viewing, and morning walks are very special here. The minimum age for canoeing and safari walks in the Zambezi National Park is 16 years, and the maximum group size for walks is 8.
Short guided walks are offered from the camp to the centre of the island, home to century-old Baobab trees. Rare ground lilies flower early in the year and a tranquil river runs through the island where a pair of breeding Pel’s fishing owls reside in large Mangosteen and Jackalberry trees. The birdlife along the water’s edge includes African finfoot and Schalow’s turaco. There is no dangerous game in the interior of the island, and these walks are open to children 12 years and older.
For a longer walk, guests take the short boat trip to the mainland at sunrise to explore the rich riparian woodlands on the banks of the Zambezi. Expect to see hippos, crocodiles and plenty of birdlife, and there's also the chance to encounter any of the bigger animals of the park, which include lion, elephant, buffalo and leopard. The professional guides know the area well and are adept at interpreting the entire ecosystem.
Walks generally last about three hours, and are tailored to the wishes and interests of guests. After the walk, breakfast is served back on Tsowa Safari Island, and there is time to refresh and relax before the afternoon activities.
- 4x4 transfers in an open game viewer vehicle from our 4x4 pickup point
- All meals (brunch, high tea and dinner)
- Teas and coffees, bottled water, soft drinks, house wines, sparkling wines, local beers and non-premium brand spirits
- Basic laundry
- 1 safari drive per day in the Zambezi National Park
- Safari walks in the Zambezi National Park
- Sunset cruise, canoeing
- Guided island walks and 1 day trip to Victoria Falls (if staying 3 nights or longer - this does not include entrance fees to the Rain Forest).
- All activities are weather dependent and subject to availability
- Transfers to our 4x4 pickup point
- Park fees ($17 pppd)
- Foundation levy ($7 pppn)
- Victoria Falls Rain Forest entry fees and guided tour fees (if required)
- Premium brand spirits, liquors, imported beers, non-house wines
- Items of a personal nature and gratuities
- Fishing is available subject to seasonality at an additional charge.