Five nights on foot in the wilderness of Akagera National Park, sleeping out under the stars.
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Administered by the transnational African Parks organisation, Akagera National Park is Central Africa’s largest protected wetland and the last remaining refuge for savannah-adapted species in Rwanda.
The Trail de Akagera is a five-night guided Primitive Trail that covers approximately 60 km (south to north) of Akagera's inspiring landscape. The focus is on spending quality time exploring the Natural environment along the way and not so much on completing the distances as quickly as possible. Everything required for the duration of this trail must be carried in a backpack. All necessary food and selected equipment will be provided by Lowveld Trails Co. There will be access to drinking water daily. In order to minimize our impact, no cooking will be allowed on an open fire. Each night on Primitive Trail is spent under the stars (no tents) with participants sharing the responsibility of 'watch duty'.
In addition to the trail nights, lodge accommodation is included before and after the walk, making this a 7-night itinerary.
Trails season in Akagera is during the drier months of August and September, and in October when 'short rains' are possible. A minimum of four hikers is required to run a trail.
Day 1: Kigali to Ruzizi Lodge (Akagera NP)
Day 2: Start Primitive Trail
Days 3 to 6: Primitive Trail
Day 7: End Primitive Trail at Karenge Camp
Day 8: Karenge Camp to Kigali
- Transfer: Kigali to Akagera National Park (2.5 hrs)
- One night at Ruzizi Tented Lodge (sharing)
- Akagera National Park 'behind the scenes' tour
- Five-night Guided Primitive Trail
- Highly Specialized and experienced Wilderness Trails Guide
- Selected Primitive Trail equipment
- One night at Karenge Bush Camp (sharing)
- All meals (in Akagera National Park)
- National Park entrance fees and conservation levies
- National Park camping fees
- Emergency evacuation
- Transfer: Akagera National Park to Kigali (3.5 hrs)
- Flights to/from Kigali, Rwanda
- Accommodation in Kigali (flight dependent)
- Drinks at Ruzizi Lodge and Karenge Bush Camp