Enjoy three days of guided walks from Kruger National Park’s only year-round private trails camp.
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
To the north of Skukuza Rest Camp in the Kruger National Park is a 12,000-hectare private concession managed by Seolo Africa. The concession provides one of the highest-rated walking safari experiences in South Africa. It shares 15 kilometres of unfenced boundary with Sabi Sands Game Reserve, a private reserve to the west, and the wildlife density is high.
The main base of the concession is Rhino Post Safari Lodge, where guests can take part in game drives. Walking safaris are run by Rhino Walking Safaris and operate from Plains Camp, about 30 minutes by game-viewing vehicle from Rhino Post. The camp is the only privately-operated permanent trails camp in the Kruger National Park. Here, four luxury tents are nestled under a thicket of knob thorn trees. This is camping in style, and each tent is crafted of canvas and wood with an en-suite bathroom and hot water.
A highlight for the adventurous is the chance to spend a night at a treehouse Sleep-Out deck. These four platforms are five to eight kilometres away from Plains Camp, depending on the route walked, and overlook the Xiteveteve Waterhole. Dinner is eaten al fresco, cooked in traditional braai style over an open fire. Then guests climb about four metres above ground to sleep in safety as animals roam the unfenced camp below. After a day on foot in the bush, nothing but a mosquito net and some canvas separates sleepers from the nocturnal sounds of Africa.
Plains Camp has a minimum 2-night stay and is open to children of 12 years and older.
Rhino Walking Safari guests are first welcomed at Rhino Post Lodge before transfer to Plains Camp. It is possible to self-drive to the lodge, and it is a 30 minute transfer from Skukuza airport. Guests should aim to arrive around midday, for transfer to Plains Camp by game viewing vehicle at 2pm.
At Plains camp, two well-qualified guides lead groups on morning and afternoon walks; they have a wealth of experience of all things natural and enjoy sharing it. The walks typically last for two to three hours, but can extend up to five hours depending on sightings, conditions and guests’ wishes. The terrain is mainly flat with thorn bushveld and marula woodlands, and every walk is a different exploration. As well as looking out for interesting plants, insects and birds, hikers may also encounter all the big game, from buffalo and elephant to big cats and African wild dogs.
- Transfer from Rhino Post Safari Lodge to Plains Camp at 14h00 on day of arrival
- Transfer from Plains Camp to Rhino Post Safari Lodge at approximately 11h00 on day of departure
- Early morning tea/coffee and a light snack before the morning walk
- Morning walk including juice, water and snacks
- Brunch on return from the morning activity at approximately 10h00
- High Tea at 15h30 – substantial sweet and savoury dishes, plus tea, coffee, water or juice
- Afternoon walk and evening game drive including a bottle of water, sundowner drink (beer, wine by the glass, sherry or a soft drink) and sundowner snacks
- Bar snacks
- Dinner (served at approximately 20h30)
- Coffee and Tea after dinner
- Estate wines, spirits and imported beers
- Laundry (This is sent offsite and is a 24-hour service)
- Purchases from the curio shop at Rhino Post Safari Lodge
- Telephone calls made from Rhino Post Safari Lodge on arrival/departure
- Private transfers to and from Plains Camp outside of the stipulated complimentary transfer times
- Conservation fees payable to Kruger National Park
- Gratuities & items of a personal nature