Explore a little-visited corner of Greater Kruger on foot, overnighting in a comfortable fixed camp.
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Manukuza Wilderness Camp is on the west side of the seasonal Klein Letaba river, a few kilometres north of its confluence with the main Letaba river channel. A 35km stretch of the Klein Letaba forms the only boundary with the national park and the sun rises over a large wilderness-zoned area of the park with no tourist access. The unfenced, no-frills camp sleeps groups of up to eight in double fan-cooled rooms with en-suite bathrooms. A small pool and deck overlooks the river channel, a welcome feature in an area known for its furnace temperatures for much of the year. Self-catering is the preferred option and the nearest place to stock up is Phalaborwa, about an hour south of the reserve gate.
The ideal walking season is April to September, and a trail needs a minimum group of 6 to operate. The maximum is 8.
At 8000ha there’s ample room in the reserve for backpacking and tented and sleep-out trails.
Read more about Manukuza Wilderness Camp in this news blog.
In the care of two trails guides, guests can walk directly from camp, or drive out to explore further reaches of the reserve. The finest specimen trees and best bird-spotting are along the main river courses- the Groot Letaba generally flows year round, while the Klein Letaba has pools that attract game.
- 4 rooms, sleeping 8 people (sharing) all with their own bathroom facilities and ceiling fans
- Price is based on minimum group of 6
- Professional Trails Guiding
- Linen is provided
- The camp is off the grid and powered by solar, cellular coverage is limited on the reserve
- Indoor self-catering kitchen with a gas stove/oven, two large fridge/ freezers and cutlery and crockery are provided. Cooking can be done indoors or at the outdoor boma area (wood is provided)
- The lodge also boasts wooden desks and a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the Klein Letaba river
- The camp staff will see to the fire and cleaning of the camp and rooms on a daily basis
- Meals and drinks - full catering available by request