This pair of family-owned camps overlooking the Zambezi river are the perfect luxury walking bases in Lower Zambezi National Park.
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Lingering along the Zambezi River between Zambia and Zimbabwe, this iconic region (which is still relatively undeveloped) is renowned for abundant wildlife in a raw and remote wilderness. From island hopping elephant and buffalo to prides of lion and prolific leopard sightings. Riverine ebony and fig tress grow thickly along the water’s edge, bordering inland floodplains with towering winterthorn and acacia. Rolling hills sit quietly as the backdrop of this just over 4,000 square kilometre park.
Chiawa Camp is the original safari camp in Lower Zambezi National Park. Set overlooking the Zambezi river, each of the luxury tents boast spectacular views and the resident wildlife includes elephant, lion, leopard, hippo and more. 30km downriver, Old Mondoro is a 5 chalet camp set under a canopy of winterthorn trees.
Both camps are ideal for walks and these tend not to stray far from the river and its prolific wildlife and shady tree cover.
Lower Zambezi National Park can be accessed by air from Lusaka, and it is a 15-minute game drive from the Jeki airstrip to the banks of the Zambezi River where guests board an aluminium speedboats waiting for the 40-minute boat ride to Chiawa camp with game viewing and incredible scenery guaranteed en-route.
Boats are also used to travel the 35kms between Chiawa and Old Mondoro camps (usually departing just after brunch).The journey takes about an hour, all within the National Park and is surely a highlight of any visit to the Lower Zambezi and one of the world’s great boat trips.
Upon arrival at the camps you will be greeted by the camp managers, selected for their passion and ability to provide world-class hospitality in a remote and challenging environment. You will be offered a specialty in-house refreshment or a drink of your choice before sitting down with the managers who will orient you with the camp, the safari activities, the meals, and matters of safety. After this, depending on the time of day and what wildlife sightings might be going on nearby, you will then be settled into your room, have a meal and go out on safari.
- Rates include 16% VAT
- Transfers between Chiawa Safaris camps and airfields
- Accommodation - luxury tents at Chiawa Camp - Bush Chalets at Old Mondoro - all fully en-suite
- All meals (private dining available), beverages, house wines, local spirits
- Professionally guided safari activities: game drives (day & night), bush walks, boat trips, angling and canoe trips. Privately guided safari activities will be offered as much as possible.
- Park, Conservation, Community & Carbon Collection Fees of US$ 120 per person per night
- Air or river transfers to/from Lower Zambezi/South Luangwa - any Airport departure tax or access fees
- Park angling permits and lost or broken fishing tackle at Chiawa Camp and Old Mondoro
- Visa fees
- Personal extras